Home care tips after root canal (endodontic) treatment
Good oral health not only boosts your confidence but also contributes to your overall well-being. However, even a minor cavity can jeopardise that. With time, the cavities develop into dental decay, which then needs to be addressed by an expert dentist.
A root canal treatment is a common and an effective way to treat dental decay, rather than the dreadful alternative of having to lose your teeth. However, it takes 2-3 appointments to complete, and it is critical to follow after-care instructions to ensure a successful treatment. So, what can be done to minimise the discomfort in-between and after the endodontic treatments, and to move towards recovery?
Continue reading to know about aftercare instructions for root canal treatment in Mount Waverley.
Post-Procedure Home Care Instructions
It is normal to experience tenderness around the treated area for a few days after the root canal treatment because your body is healing naturally. You may also experience sensitivity in your jaw as a result of keeping it open for an extended period. These are transient symptoms that usually go away after taking some pain relievers. However, there are a few things that you can do to relieve your discomfort, and to expedite the healing process:
- If you feel the pain, you may apply an ice pack to the affected area for 30 minutes.
- Avoid chewing or eating on the side of your mouth that has been worked on while it is still numb.
- Whenever possible, chew on the opposite side of the treated tooth until a crown is affixed, as your tooth is still weak and susceptible to fracture.
- Do not smoke for the first 24 hours, and limit your smoking during the rest of the healing process.
- For the next 24 hours, avoid strenuous exercise.
- Please avoid crunchy or hard foods that could fracture your tooth, until you have a crown placed to protect it.
- Ensure that you receive your final restoration (a crown unless otherwise discussed) on time, else you may suffer tooth fracture or loss.
Syndal Dentistry provides exceptional dental care to patients of all ages in Mount Waverley. Our dentist and supporting staff understand that developing a relationship based on trust, comfort and unrivalled quality will assist you in achieving a healthy smile that is a reflection of you.
So, whether you visit us for teeth cleaning, cosmetic treatments, a dental emergency or even a root canal treatment at our Mount Waverley clinic, our goal is to make you feel better. We strive to complete your treatment as quickly as possible by utilising cutting-edge technology and equipment. If you would like to visit with our experienced dentists in Mount Waverley, you can book an appointment online.